dimanche 27 octobre 2013

Setting up a computer for a computer-illiterate Granny

I didn't know where would be appropriate to post this as there are no errors or BSoD or anything like that. Just in need of advice.


My mom was coming over to my place to use the net on my spare netbook but because of her eye sight she needed a bigger monitor. We finally set her up at her apartment and now after years she has her own internet. However this results in her calling me over and over again about the simpliest things such as "It says I have to update Java! Is that safe? What should I do?" "Zone Alarm says I have 3 days left! Do I buy it? I thought I already had it (she has the free version). Will I have to go the store and buy another? Will I be attacked without it? What do I do?" The computer wants to update and says I must reboot! How do I do that?" (I have shown her endless times how to use the start menu but she seems to forget easily. She also insists on using IncrediMail which I am not familiar with and has been erroring even though she has the paid version of that.


So my question is, how do you set up a computer for someone like that to keep them safe yet not need thier interaction? I do not let her register on Facebook because I feel she would fall for scams, as well as I have installed WOT and have taught her what the colours of the "donuts" mean. Updates are done at 4am when I figure she won't be on the computer (she is on it a lot) but I have it not automatically reboot because she always has a lot of emails mid-post and not ready to send out and I don't know if Incredimail saves drafts or how as I don\t know that progam.


I am trying to figure out an easier way as she gets frustrated easily and then goes on rants that sound like this: "Maybe I should not have gotten the internet. Maybe your brother was right and the net is a waste of time and money! I can\t do this without you here. I am just bugging you.."


It does get tiring,. So .. any advice?








via Bleeping Computer Last 20 Posts http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512016/setting-up-a-computer-for-a-computer-illiterate-granny/

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire